
This has been a very busy season of piano for me. I've managed to keep up with 26 piano students squeezed into just two teaching days a week. They are all so amazing and it is a very rewarding experience to watch them improve and progress. Even on the home-front, Ella has made a lot of progress on the piano. She prepared diligently for the sonatina piano festival held in March. She had spent a couple of months preparing her piece and she was very ready. I could somewhat hear through the door and I thought she was amazing. It takes a lot of courage to play your piece in front of a judge who will critique your performance. She came home with the excellent marks, a score of 1 (1+ is the highest rating) and a ribbon. She can’t wait to do it next year and hopefully earn the 1+ (which does offer a slightly bigger ribbon).
Ella also had a chance to accompany twice at church recently. I was asked to sing the song, "The Sacrament" in the Primary on Easter Sunday and Ella played for me. They also had a special 5th Sunday primary meeting where the kids were allowed to share their talents and Ella played “When I am Baptized” while her friends sang along. She has quite a bit of courage. It’s always more difficult to accompany than to play a solo and she did very well both times.
Anyway, the biggest news on the piano front is that a couple of months ago I announced that I would be reducing my studio in half. With additional responsibilities at home, a new baby and Stephen commuting, it seemed like the best decision for our family. But, it has been very difficult to contemplate saying goodbye to so many students I love. I continued teaching everyone up until the spring recital held this past weekend and now I am officially on hiatus through the summer to adjust to life with four! The recital was such a bitter-sweet experience for me. Kayla and Ella rocked their songs! All of my students were able to attend and they all performed marvelously. But, I also had to wish many of them goodbye. I put together a little parting package of treats for all of these sweet students (see below: root beer, blow pops, extra gum and a twix bar), but that didn't stop me from choking up a bit! I'll blame it on the hormones.
I do have to say that I was VERY grateful to be in attendance at the recital. I am getting awfully close :)



No comments:
Post a Comment