Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Day the Hurricane Came Through Texas...

Just so any of you don't misunderstand and begin checking the news for updates on the latest disaster, let me clarify, I'm not talking about a literal hurricane. I'm just talking about my mother. I've been told before that I am a pretty efficient person. Well, this is nothing compared to my mom. My parents just came for a short two-day visit and by the end of it (and with a little mess in the process), my kitchen was painted, drapes were made and hung, two wicker chairs painted and all of my mending was completed. We even had time for a little fun shopping, Enrichment night and McDonald's playplace with Ella. Even I was amazed this time! Here are some before and after pictures of the kitchen.


These pictures show the color of the kitchen before.


My mom and I stayed up until midnight painting. When my dad came down for breakfast, he said to my mom, "Looks like you've been here." I promise, I really did have a clean house before my parents came.


The after picture. Do we like it?


Oh, and my mom taught me the nifty trick of how to pop out the bottom of your toaster oven to clean it out. I had no idea all these years! Wow. So now I want to know. Survey: How many of you knew about the toaster oven bottom?

Here are some more pictures of the trip.





This last one of Kayla is funny to me, because this is basically where she was the entire time the projects were going on (in a pool of her own food messiness) because I couldn't trust her around the mess we were creating!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

I love the new kitchen decor; looks like you two were really busy. One question though, did you get a new table or did you paint that too? Either way, I really like the black table.

Also, I did know about the toaster bottom only because I have had to clean out those on-fire pieces of a pop-tart that I left in too long :)

{Erica} said...

The new kitchen color rocks! How cool of your mom to come down and help you! I love how to all came together. that last picture looks very familiar ..i have about 30 or so of those pics featuring my girls ...always in their own food mess whilst I clean, cook or create.

Cathy said...

I need your Mom to come to my house! Do you think she is up for adoption anytime soon? How about on loan?

Great kitchen and I loved the blog about your Dad. He must be pretty great because his daughter is amazing too!

cth

Anonymous said...

Wow- how exciting to actually be painting walls!! It tured out great. I get a kick out of your mom- she is amazing! :)

Debbi said...

How fun that your mom came and helped with all of those projects! That is awsome! I love the look of your new house and I am so jealous!

Food is the only way to entertain my little one, I wish it worked for my older one.

And yes - it will be the A&E version of P&P this week, I have the time, I might as well watch the good movie!

Sarah said...

Your house looks great! So, do you think that I could rent Ed and your mother? :) She is amazing! I seriously think that your mom should write a book. I love your house and I am really going to have to come and check it out in person one of these days!

kgoody said...

Your house looks so cute. I like your decorating job. Im so happy for you guys to have new house. Oh and yes I knew about the toaster since I was younger, probably more so since the bottom would open on its own when Id take it out of the cupboard.

jeny said...

yo8ur house looks great. I need that hurricane to come through my house.
I never knew about cleaning the toaster oven, I've never owned one.