Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Financial Planning 101

One night for dessert, I shared a mint dove chocolate with the girls from my birthday basket. They were thrilled. A few minutes later, I noticed Ella had cornered Kayla and Dessie and bullied them into giving up their chocolates in exchange for a dollar a piece. I couldn’t believe Ella was so desperate for chocolates that she would pay such an exorbitant rate for them. In order to teach her a little bit about money and its value, I took the girls on a little trip to Walmart the next day. I asked Dessie and Kayla to bring their dollars from Ella with them and then I took them to the candy aisle. I bought a bag of the same chocolates for $3.48. We then went home and the girls gave me their dollars to buy a portion of the bag of chocolates. We divided the chocolates according to payment and each girl received 7 chocolates for her dollar. I showed Ella how a little patience could have purchased her 14 chocolates instead of only two. I hope she has learned her lesson. Maybe next time she will only offer her sisters a dime for their chocolates!

No comments: