Monday, May 5, 2008

Another Favorite!


I've been thinking about some of my other "favorite mom moments" and this one came to mind. Most of you know that my girls are a slim 17 months apart; and if you know Ella at all, you can imagine how difficult it was for her to move over for another baby. So this is a picture of my sweet Ella trying to take Kayla's place in the hospital bassinet. This picture reminds me of one of my most important jobs as a mom--transitioner. Doesn't it feel like you spend a lot of time as a mom transitioning from one stage to another? Just as life gets comfortable, something changes and you have to kick into transitional mode. It's certainly not the easiest job in the world...I think it took Ella three months to move from trying to share my lap as I nursed Kayla to finally trying to nurse her own baby (from her belly button, I should add), but with a lot of extra love and help, somehow life progresses smoothly!

6 comments:

{Erica} said...

Luaren, that picture of the 3 of you is WONDERFUL!! you should've submitted that to that photo comp you were doing...seriously a very touching photo.

My Ella had a very hard time transitioning as well...the way she dealt with the new baby was just not acknowledging her at all!

You described a huge role as a mother so well and one that I know but hadn't really thought of before in depth. Thank you for this post!

Crystal said...

I totally agree! It's funny when you try to talk to your husband or someone else who has never been a mother about all the things that you have to do and they are totally oblivious. I think that a mother's role is so underestimated by many. I'm glad that us moms can talk and appreciate each other.

Both your pictures are so cute. I have been wondering how our Ella is going to respond to having to share mommy. Last night she told me that the baby could sleep between me and her. I'm glad that she didn't say the baby could sleep on the floor or something :) I hope that with her being a little older when the baby is born, that she will understand it a little better and it won't be such a hard transition. I guess we will see.

mere said...

That is a great photo! Can't wait for Dotty to become a big sister- I wonder how she would handle it.

Jane said...

What a darling photo of the three girls in your family! Love it.

Sarah said...

That picture of Ella in the hospital bassinet is also one of my favorites :) And that picture of the three of you is amazing. I love it. You are seriously the best example to me of a mom and all that it entails, I could not be more grateful for your example!

jeny said...

What a beautiful picture
of you and your girls.

I also have a couple sets
of the 17-months-apart thing.

...what were we thinking??